Last week I wrote about the process of fairing the side deck that has been going off and on for the last three years. Today, I was determined to finish the job and get a coat of primer on the epoxy to protect it from UV. When we left off I put down one last coat of fairing epoxy and when I came out this morning it looked like this:
I carefully sanded this last bit down and ended up with a perfectly smooth surface that I wiped down with Xylol several times until the rag came up clean.
I then mixed up 3 oz Interlux Primer Epoxy Primecoat 404 base, 1 oz 414 reactor, and 1 oz 233N reducing solvent.
I brushed on the primer and was quite happy to see the area turn white again. It was blowing like crazy outside and while I wasn’t worried about anything contaminating the paint (it has been raining for two weeks straight and had just stopped an hour before) I was surprised to see that the primer set up very quickly. This made it difficult to tip out the paint and make it nice and smooth. As a result I will need to give it a light sand before the next coat. Upon reflection, I think I should try rolling the primer on and discontinue use of the brush. I will give this a go next time and report back on how it works out.