Now that I am done with the fiberglass work around the companionway I have turned my attention to the wood. As you know from Companionway Hatch we re-did the companionway sliding hatch back in 2016. The rest of the wood is just as old and weathered but more importantly, it has been sanded down so many times over the years that it is getting too thin to be as strong as I would like it to be. In order to rectify this I ordered a bunch of teak a few months ago and it has just been sitting in the v-berth looking pretty but lonely. So, I grabbed one of the boards and began the process of making two new teak washboard frames.
Here is what the washboard frames looked like back when we finished the sliding hatch:
I removed them and traced them out on the new teak board, making sure to trace out an all around larger shape to a more robust frame.
Once the old was traced onto the new I rough cut them with a hand saw and then sanded them down with the orbital and vacuum set up. I made sure to sand all of the exposed edges way down to smooth gradients so that if anyone were to ever fall into one of these things they would not be injured.
Here you can see the difference between the old and new. The new is not only wider and taller, but also much thicker. These boards will be much stronger than the old ones.
I used the old boards as a template to drill new holes for the fasteners. I then pulled out my 3/8 forstner bit to drill a hole for the teak bungs.
Since the existing screws were still in good shape and the fiberglass was already tapped for them I re-used them and installed the new frame. Here is how it looks now: