Starboard Lazarette Seacock II

Last week’s post finished up with me sanding down the new oakume wood seacock base.  This week I picked up where we left off and began by drilling out the 2 inch hole in the center.

DSC_6928.jpg

I then dry fit the base and new seacock and traced the outline of the seacock flange onto the wood.  This gave me the ability to mark the three holes for the silicon bronze bolts exactly.  I drilled these out with a 3/8 inch bit and counter sunk the bottom so that the bronze carriage bolt heads would be recessed into the wood.

Once the holes were drilled and countersunk properly, I dry fit the seacock and tightened down the bolts enough to pull them up into the wood so that they were completely flush:

All this was pretty easy.  Unfortunately, the next few hours were spent inside the lazarette with an angle grinder, orbital sander, and vacuum.  The lazarette floor is a part of the fiberglass pan that makes up the interior of the boat and so there was a finished layer of gelcoat that had to be ground down to bare fiberglass in order to properly adhere the wood base.  Since the base is so much larger than the original it took quite some time.  All the while I am crumpled up in the small space operating the angle grinder in the 90 degree heat with fiberglass being thrown everywhere!  I’m going to include a picture of me in this small space that Erin took several years ago so you know what I am talking about! 😉

After that awful task was over I vacuumed up all the fiberglass dust and cleaned the ground glass with acetone.   I then mixed up a batch of unthickened epoxy and coated the newly ground glass and the oakume wood base.

While the unthickened epoxy set up some I mixed up a very large batch of thickened epoxy using 404 and 406 additives which are good for bonding hardware and adhering things together.  I used a large popsicle stick to spread out the thickened epoxy on the hull of the boat making sure to build up the area around the hole in the hull so that it would evenly bond with the wood.  I then put another thick layer on the bottom of the wood and squeezed them together – racing outside to quickly thread the thru hull in to make sure everything was lined up perfectly!

Once everything was correctly in position I ran my finger around the base to make a nice fillet.   Once it sets up I will paint it and replace all the old hoses and hose clamps.  🙂

2018-05-27 15.44.26.jpg


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s