Starboard Sail Track

It’s been a while since we’ve updated the blog.  At first, the excuse was that I was so determined to finish the hull to deck joint that I was out on the boat all the time.  Unfortunately, that excuse only lasted a few weeks and I was involved in a serious car accident where a vehicle hit me at high speed on the highway while I was in stop and go traffic heading to work.  Not only was my car totaled but my back and neck were injured.  I now have to go to the chiropractor three times a week for 7 weeks.  This is frustratingly time-consuming and it interferes with me doing much boat work (or physical work at all.)  All in all its been a pretty disappointing experience that has really thrown off my routine and general wellbeing.

Anyhow, enough complaining, the good news is that the hull to deck joint is, in fact, finished and we can sleep soundly knowing that there are no little drip leaks!  Remember the last blog post about how difficult the port sail track was?  Well, I had absolutely no clue what the starboard side had in store for us.  Luckily Erin was there with me and we made some critical decisions to make it happen.

The first issue we ran into was that the bolts are hidden by a teak veneer “wall” that lines the hull on the starboard side in the cabin.  Here you can see me trying to manipulate this thin piece of wood to get at the nuts.  I was quite unsuccessful.

2016-09-04 14.47.00.jpg

The issue is that this is a solid piece of wood that runs the entire length of the settee and it quickly became apparent that it was installed before any of the cabinetry.  In order to take this wood out, you have to take the cabinetry apart.  In order to take the cabinetry apart, you have to take the settee apart.  I really, really did not want to go through all of that trouble.   So, logically I decided the best thing to do is to cut the wood out and get rid of it all together!  Erin did not like this idea but we eventually came to a good compromise to cut out the unnecessary parts that you don’t usually see anyhow.  This allowed us to have one, smaller, piece that we could slide back and forth out of the way so we could get to the bolts.

 

Once accessible, the nuts came off relatively easy, we only had a few hang ups, just as we did on the port side.  Like everything else involving boat work, it was an exploration in contortion just to reach the bolts but luckily Erin found a comfy spot on the galley counter.  😉

2016-09-04 15.22.22-1a.jpg

After about 4 or 5 hours we finally got the last few stubborn bolts off and, success, the sail track was off!!!

2016-09-04 15.59.05-1a.jpg


14 thoughts on “Starboard Sail Track

  1. Sorry to hear about the car wreck. The project seems to be moving along. You are going to know that boat inside out by the time she is sailing. Keep up the good work.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Are you still working on the A37? I just purchased one myself and in need of some love 🙂 Here is a link of the listing for the Alberg I purchased, would love any input you have. Thanks

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Awesome! Looks like she is in a similar condition to ours as we bought her. Good looking boat! Once we got ours cleaned up a bit we starting working on fixing the leaks. How are your decks? Any soft spots? That was the most work for us so far.

    Like

  4. Thanks. She is not in as bad as she looks. She has been sitting on the hard for 4 years. The bottom was completely redone in 2012, the rudder was completely rebuilt when the bottom was done. No soft spots. Most of it will is in good condition, other than needing rebedding, paint. The water stains were from rain when it was on the hard, the batteries had died due to lack of maintenance so the bilge was not working. The engine is my one major concern. I had a surveyor look it over and his words to me were “she is good to go into the water now” I payed 6k for her so I feel I am in great shape.

    Liked by 1 person

  5. wow! you got a good deal! Sounds like she is in pretty good shape. Our engine was in a similar condition and we are replacing it rather than trying to rebuild it. That was just personal preference though. Diesels can be rebuilt and last forever!

    Like

  6. Definitely! We decided to go with a Beta 35 with 2:1 TMC60A transmission that has a 7 degree down angle. The old Volvo Pentas were installed at a pretty steep angle – the down angle transmission allows to balance out the engine more. Beta’s are based on Kubota so parts are available around the world. Beta also has great customer service.

    Like

  7. I am looking into the Beta engines now. You are not the first to recommend them. Did you do the install or pay to have it done? Any reason you did the Beta 35 over the 38? I know I have about hit my questions limit, but boats come with more questions than answers. But I guess you already knew this 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  8. Haha that is the truth! I welcome the dialogue. One of the owners of Beta recommended the 35 over the 38. I am speculating here, but I think either would work – there is plenty of room. We are doing the install ourselves however my father re-powered with a Beta 50 (Bristol 41.1c) several years ago and he had a yard do part of the work and found it very helpful.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s