Toe Rail Work Continues

It seems as if I’ve been working on this toe rail forever… A few days ago I calculated that it takes me about an hour to complete 1 foot.  There is about 84 feet of toe rail.  Yup, it’s taking a long time.  That was until today.  Today I found out that my estimate was very optimistic!  I had no clue how difficult it would be to take the sail track off the toe rail.  More about that later.

Before we get to the sail track lets take a look at the wonderful progress that’s been made! I removed the cap rail from the starboard bow and found that the hull to deck joint was a little bit better than the port side.  I also switched to cleaning up the sealing with Xylene instead of Acetone.  Xylene is really good a breaking down silicones and it seems whatever sealant was used may have had a bit of that.

There were a couple feet where the hull to deck joint was just as clean and perfect as can be… too bad the whole boat wasn’t put together this way!

2016-08-24 12.33.17.jpg

Alas, only about two or three feet were that solid.  After countless hours of scraping the rest things finally started cleaning up.

DSC_6008a.jpg

DSC_5992a.jpg

After all the sealant was scraped off I cleaned everything with Xylene.  And then I cleaned it again with Xylene.  And then I scraped some more.  And then I cleaned it with Xylene.  And then I used a Xylene soaked rag wrapped around the scraper and scraped some more! And then I finally cleaned everything with Xylene…….

Eventually it was clean and time to seal the hull to deck joint with 5200.

DSC_5983a.jpg

And here you have the sealed up and now waterproof hull to deck joint on the starboard side:

DSC_6041a.jpg

Major progress!  I then conveniently skipped over the next 20 feet on either side because they had the sail track through bolted on and I still hadn’t gotten my mind around removing all of those through bolts by myself…

So on to the transom!

DSC_6051a.jpg

The wood came up pretty easy on the transom.  I was a bit surprised to find that there are about 50 holes in the taffrail and the little aluminium rivets from when the boat was build are all but nonexistent.  I had to really look for where they used to be and I only found a couple intact.  I see through bolts in the future of the transom!

Remember I was talking about licen growing on the teak? Look at this! This poor wood is in serious need of some love!

2016-08-26 11.31.19a.jpg

After lots of cleaning I was left with tons of little holes.  To be honest I’m not sure what they are all there for! For now I made little silicone buttons that will keep the water out until I figure out what I’m going to do with all the holes.  I will probably end up epoxying the whole transom and starting from scratch.  We will see.  This is only half of the transom:

2016-08-26 12.49.08.jpg

Stay tuned for the details on the sail track.  It was a real adventure.


One thought on “Toe Rail Work Continues

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s