I’ve noticed a couple small leaks around the toe rail when a heavy rain storm is underway. Most are very small and look like drips of water are entering through the hollow rivets. One in particular is not as small and has really been bothering me so this morning I drove out to the farm and decided to remove the bolts that hold the toe rail down and re-bed them. Well, I was quite surprised to see there are no through bolts except for where the sail track is mounted.
I started at the bow and pulled out 11 bungs and removed 11 normal screws. Apparently these screws only function is to hold down the teak cap-rail. This was a little disappointing. I don’t know where I got it in my head, maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I really thought the cap-rail was through bolted. As it turns out the hull to deck joint is fastened with rivets only with the exception of the sail track through bolts.
After this discovery I decided that I needed to pull the cap-rail and see what was going on under there, these screws were obviously not the source of the problem. This was quite difficult and involved a lot of patience. The teak was secured with a very strong, very old, caulk.
Eventually I worked it off in one piece and was once again kinda disappointed with what I found. The caulk was a mess and looked like it was not applied evenly. They didn’t even take the time to caulk the hull to deck joint 😦
So, what I found after I cleaned up all the caulk is that the hull to deck joint is 100% fastened by rivets and the headliner is a part of the sandwich. A diagram explaining the construction (found on the A37 IOA) with my notes is below:
You can see a bit of the construction in this pic:
After cleaning everything up with acetone I caulked the hull to deck joint with 5200 but I have not decided what I’m going to do about the teak toe rail yet. I am 90% sure I’m going to add through bolts in place of some of the screws. I am also contemplating a new teak toe rail since this one is getting a bit thin.