It was 28 degrees (-2C) this morning and I had it in the back of my mind not to go out to the boat. There are plenty of boat projects do be done at the house as well but I haven’t had much time to go out and work so I bundled up and made the journey. I’m so glad that I did!
Here I am decked out in warm clothing and protective gear for sanding epoxy:
You may remember from “Hatch Bases” that I have been filling and fairing the area around the saloon hatch for quite some time now. Its a never-ending process of mixing up epoxy, filling, waiting for that to cure, sanding it down to find all the irregularities, mixing up more epoxy, filling it all again, waiting, sanding, MORE irregularities!, more epoxy, more filling, more sanding, on and on and on. Well today, I am happy to report that after sanding we had a perfectly smooth surface!!
After all the “above the head” work I went out onto the cabin-top and cleaned up the actual hatch base:
And then the wonderful moment came when we could finally dry fit the “new” hatch!!
A pretty sight if you ask me 🙂
The next step was mixing up some un-thickened epoxy and painting it onto the recently filled and faired underside. This gives it a beautiful, smooth, protective finish. Once cured we will lightly sand it down and paint. The area will actually be stronger and better than when it was new!