As you may remember from Headliner and Hatch Bases we have had our the bottoms of our hatches ripped out for some time now. We thought it best to wait until the hatches were off to start epoxying everything back together again in case we needed to get in there and fix something unexpected and have to do it all over again!
Luckily there were no unexpected surprises, definitely not with the saloon hatch, so today we decided it would be a good time to bond and fair the headliner to the hatch base.
Here you can see all the compound that was cracking and peeling is removed and everything brought down to bare fiberglass:
That was a bear of a job but its done and were never going to have to do it again we hope!!!
We then filled the small gap between the headliner and the coach-roof with epoxy thickened with West System 406 Colloidal Silica. This was injected with a syringe with a big opening.
Any small cracks that we found were opened up so that we could fill and fair them:
Then we mixed up a big batch of epoxy thickened with 406 Colloidal Silica and 407 Low-Density filler. It is very difficult to work on something above your head and upside down like this but the epoxy did not sag so I’m pretty sure we got the density correct. We made sure not to add too much filler because this was one of the major problems with whatever filler they had in their before – it never bonded to anything and as the boat flexed and moved over the years it began to crack up. Our mixture will securely bond to the fiberglass in both the headliner and the coach-roof.
Its cold outside so it takes a while to cure. Once it cures we will sand it all down and fill in the voids with more epoxy thickened with 407, then sand again and hopefully be done. 🙂