In between tackling the larger projects Erin and I have spent a lot of time refinishing all of the wood on the interior. Erin takes off all the cabinet doors when she is painting the lockers and sands and cleans all of the wood in the process. As you know from “Bulkheads” I tackled the main bulkheads a while back with great success. We’ve employed the same process, using oxalic acid, barkeepers friend, and sandpaper. Here are some pics of what we’ve been up to:
One of the problem areas was the bulkhead that the mast lives next to. There had obviously been some leaks coming from the mast boot and running down the bulkhead because in several areas the teak veneer had bubbled up. We could have left them and hoped that the mast covered them up but that is just not our style at all. We could have re-veneered the whole piece of wood but that was too expensive for our small budget. So, like everything else, we repaired them! Here is how:
First we found the center of the bubble and cut it at the edge. Then we took a painters pallet knife and slid it inside the bubble and made a couple inch long “crack” in the wood.
We filled up a west system epoxy syringe with wood glue and injected the wood glue all in the crack.
We were liberal with the glue to make sure to fill the entire gap and let the excess ooze out, which we wiped up.
After repeating the procedure above to all the problem areas we then had to apply as much pressure as possible to make sure the veneer was pressed absolutely flat against the wood. We used shipping tubes wedged between the starboard hull with wood blocks to distribute the pressure evenly.
All fixed! Ready to be sanded and oiled 🙂
Its very hard to see any trace of the incision since the wood grain naturally lies next to itself once again.
If you look super close in really bright light you can see some traces of the glue but it’s surprisingly discrete.