I promise this is only going to be a 4 part series! The head is a very important part of a sailors life and its just so exciting to have a brand new system!! I mentioned in the last part of the series (The Head: Part II) that we have done an exhaustive amount of research and planning. Well yesterday we got to put those plans in action!
The first major development was the arrival of our brand new Trionic SP-2020 Super Premium Holding Tank. We researched tanks up, down, and all over the internet finally arriving at Trionic because they made a tank that fits perfectly in the bilge. The tank is made of 100% polyethylene and is a one piece construction with no seams or welds. Polyethylene now dominates the holding tank industry due to its seamless construction, impermeability (good for no smells!), and because it can be made in so many different shapes and sizes. We really like this particular tank over other manufactures because all of the fittings are on the top. Most tanks have the output on the bottom to aid in getting all of the contents out however this leaves open the door for failure and a really nasty situation in the bilge. All of the tanks on the Alberg have all of the fittings on the top and we wanted to keep it that way. The tank itself was $182 but we opted for the “super premium” so that we could have all the fittings on top which brought the total to $332 before shipping. It would have cost a similar amount to build a tank from scratch so we are really happy with saving that effort.
The tank will be bedded on neoprene and strapped down to the shelf (which is fiber-glassed in) with webbing.
We bought a 50 ft roll of sanitation hose from Jamestown Distributors for about $150 less than any other retailer we could find and we are using it for the whole system. You can see here the shelf that the new tank sits on. The entire area was painted with an epoxy barrier coat.
It was quite the task getting both hoses through the small space between the bulkhead and the hull. Erin was helping push from the other side while I reached up and under to grab and pull the hoses through. It worked out perfectly in the end.
Here I am lining all of the parts up and cutting the different lengths of hose to exact sizes. You’ll notice the shelf and chainplate knees are looking a lot better than before. We re-fiber-glassed the shelf in place and the bottom of both knees for added structural support and load disbursement. We then painted it with alkyd enamel which just brightens everything up!
Back on the tank side we installed a Jabsco Y Valve so that we can choose whether to pump out to the deck fitting or pump out using our SeaLand Discharge Pump. (note to the perfectionists out there: those two hose clamps are going to be replaced with higher quality and properly sized clamps)
And here is the almost complete installation!
All we have to do now is cut one more hole to route that last hose on the left up to the discharge pump and add one more hose down through the cut outs on the right to the new seacocks that we cant afford yet! haha.
You’ll notice we have another Jabsco Y Valve here. This one is for the USCG so that we are in compliance will all the discharge laws. We can decide wether to flush the toilet right overboard or to the holding tank. The Jabsco Y Valve also makes it really easy to put the required lock on the handle while in the coastal limits of the US.
Another feature is the shelf we built for the discharge pump. It is not fastened to the hull but is grooved to fit into the brace that is epoxied to the hull. The brass chain in the front is what holds it up from falling but is easily un-clipped so that the pump drops down and is 100% accessible for maintenance.
The last cool feature that I want to point out is our custom ironwood pedestal for the head. Ironwood is a popular wood for shipbuilding and I think it will add a nice warm touch to the head once its installed.